Health and Safety Superintendent
Temps plein • Cochrane Région
Location: Detour Lake Mine
Rotation: 7 days in, followed by 7 days off
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
Based at the Detour Lake Mine site, we currently have an exciting opportunity for a Health and Safety Superintendent to join our Health and Safety team reporting to the Manager, Risk, Health and Safety.
Detour Lake is the second largest gold producing mine in Canada with the largest gold reserves and substantial growth potential. The open pit mine is located in northeastern Ontario, approximately 300 kilometres northeast of Timmins and 185 kilometres by road northeast of Cochrane, within the northernmost Abitibi Greenstone Belt.The mine is situated in the area of the historic Detour Lake open pit/underground mine operated by Placer Dome which produced 1.8 million ounces of gold from 1983 to 1999. The Detour Lake operation has a mine life of approximately 22 years with an average gold production of 659,000 ounces per year.
The Health and Safety Superintendent will be responsible to provide leadership in developing and coordinating Health and Safety personnel and assist in developing, implementing and administering Health and Safety policies, practices and procedures at the Detour Lake Mine.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Lead, supervise and develop the Health and Safety team through coaching, mentoring and cross-training to ensure high quality deliverables to stakeholders;
- Manage the planning, development and implementation of all health and safety programs;
- Guide and direct the occupational hygiene programs, including air and noise sampling;
- Promote site awareness of health and safety requirements and conditions for operations;
- Oversee the Health and Safety management systems and practices, taking into account quality, cost, safety, production and overall business needs;
- Provide support and advice to departments on inclusion of health and safety risk management consideration in work plans;
- Research and propose cost effective, efficient and compliance approaches to health and safety;
- Undertake regular site audits to ensure compliance with policies and procedures;
- Verify incident response measures are in place, lead investigations as required and prepare relevant reports.
Our ideal candidate has:
- Degree or Diploma in Health and Safety;
- CRSP Designation or working towards is considered a strong asset;
- Five to eight years’ progressive experience in a senior health and safety role within a mining operation;
- Three years’ experience in a supervisory role with demonstrated success mentoring a team of professionals;
- Knowledge in e-compliance, INX or other HS software is considered a strong asset;
- Practical experience with risk identification, assessment and management in mining operations;
- Extensive knowledge of Canadian and Ontario legislation relevant to the mining industry;
- Strong communication skills and ability to formally present ideas to the senior operations team;
- Advanced MS Suite skills, experience with SAP considered an asset;
- Excellent verbal, written and listening skills.
WHAT'S IN IT FOR YOU
Together, we are building a world-class gold mine and our success is determined by the hard work and dedication of our team. All of our team members are rewarded with a competitive benefits package and on-the-job perks, including:
- Competitive Salary
- Travel Allowance
- Group Benefit package
- Training and learning opportunities
Please go to www.kl.gold under the “Careers” section, build a new profile and submit your resume directly onto our website.
All applicants must submit their application in English.
We are committed to protecting the privacy of applicants; personal information provided will be used for recruitment and/or employment purposes only.
Should you be the successful candidate for this role, you will be contacted by a member of our Human Resources Department to schedule an interview.